Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Love Story: First Date

Kyle and his friend Rob drove down to Utah County one May evening of 2006 to hang out with my friend Mallory and I. I was just getting off work (I worked as a receptionist at a car dealership for a short time-blah) so I met the guys in the WalMart parking lot across the street. Kyle pulled up next to me in his clunker '92-ish Honda Accord. We were both smiling from ear-to-ear when we saw each other again (we first met in January). We discussed our plans for the night and they followed me to Mallory's house. We took Chark-bait (my charcoal Mitsubishi Lancer) up to my parents' house so I could change out of my sun-dress into something more comfortable. We drove up Hobble Creek canyon to a small trail going up to a waterfall I knew about. We arrived at dusk and spent a few hours at the waterfall talking. Rob and Mallory wandered off for a while so me and Kyle had the chance to talk. He was incredibly easy to talk to and opened up to me about his parents divorce, his dreams to be a commercial pilot and his mission experience. I was glad he felt like he could talk to me. We had a fairly deep conversation about the above topics and were both very comfortable with each other. By then, it was getting dark and the moon was shining on the glistening waterfall. I clearly remember looking into Kyle's eyes that night in the moonlight hoping this wasn't a one-time occasion. Rob and Mallory reappeared. We decided to head down the canyon. We carefully hiked down the trail and crossed the log down to the car in the dark. I had recently recovered from a broken foot so I was a little nervous about twisting my ankle. Kyle reached for my hands as I tried to stay balanced on the uneasy hillside. He helped me cross the log and opened my door when we got in the car. On the drive down the canyon, we had fun laughing and joking about who-knows-what. We went back to Mallory's house to retrieve Kyle's automobile. We hung out in front of Mal's house for a while before they begun their journey northward. Kyle and I sat on the hood of his car talking. For some reason or another, me and my goofy self decided to tie his shoelaces together. So I did. Then we fell in love. Just kidding- it wasn't quite that simple. But we did share a good sense of humor and lighthearted conversation. Before he left, he wrapped his arms around me to say goodbye. We definitely felt the chemistry because of our comfortable feelings around each other. I loved his height from the first time I saw him. 6' 3", shaggy hair, handsome as can be. He looked at me as we were embracing and gave me a kiss! Yes, we kissed on our first date. So sue me. But boy, was it great! Neither of us had had lip action in months. We both were pretty active kissers as a hobby- not looking for love. But this was more than lip action. It was a short, sweet kiss that I enjoyed very much. Then he departed. I was all kinds of excited on my drive home alone. I walked into the cottage apartment my sister and I lived in and told her about my night. Neither Kyle or I were necessarily looking for a serious relationship, but we sure hoped that one night of deliciousness wasn't the end. It wasn't. It was only the beginning.

1 comments:

Jana Banana said...

What a sweet story...you guys are so cute!