Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Love Story: The Engagement

Kyle and I didn't discuss the "M" word very much, though we'd talk about how cool it would be if we "ended up together." Christmas came around and I was living in Draper as a nanny. Kyle was sick our first Christmas and I was devastated because he had been planning on coming to my parents to spend the holiday with my family. I cried on the phone to him becuase it just wouldn't be the same without him. I hung up the phone trying to accept that he didn't want to get my family sick, blah blah blah. I called and talked to my dad, which is a common thing for me to do when I'm trying to make a decision. He told me my family would rather get sick than to not have Kyle there. I flipped my phone back open after talking to my daddy and pressed "2" on my speed dial. I told Kyle that I wouldn't let him spend Christmas alone and that I insisted he come to my parents. He met me an hour later and we drove south. Kyle slept in the extra bedroom at my parents house. That night (Christmas Eve) after staying up late talking with the fam, I tucked Kyle in bed then went to my bed. As I lay there thinking about him in the room down the hall, I couldn't resist. I snuck back in the room he was sleeping in and layed by him and held his hand for a few minutes and told him how glad I was that he was there. The next day was Christmas. He spoiled the crimony out of me, as usual. After we opened presents with my family and ate sugar cereal (Taylor tradition) Kyle went out to help my dad burn the pile of wrapping paper we had collected. That's when Kyle asked my dad's permission to marry his daughter. Of course, I didn't know about this at the time. 4 days later, December 29th, Kyle invited me over to his dad's house, where he was living, and took me into the basement where there was a candlelit dinner awaiting me. He had a card waiting for me by my plate. As I read the sweet letter, my heart started pounding. I knew this was it. This was the engagement! His letter talked about how grateful he is for my love and how he would be lost without me. After I read the card, Kyle was on his knee in front of me holding out a ring. He popped the question! I said yes, if you didn't catch onto that by now. :) We hugged for some minutes and smooched for some more. After our Chinese dinner, we walked upstairs just as his dad and brother were walking in. I showed them the ring and they congratulated me. Then, we drove down to my parents to show them the ring and tell them the news in person. We were all smiles. We started talking about a wedding date knowing we wanted a short engagement. Short it was- only 8 weeks!

1 comments:

CJJB Fam said...

Lisa,
I am loving these stories because I didn't get to know all of this while you guys were dating. It is so stinking cute. I thought our engagement was short at 10 1/2 weeks but you guys were quick. I hope everything is going good.