Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Love Story: 10,000 miles apart

The time I spent in Sri Lanka was incredible- I learned so much about myself, my testimony, I learned about a new culture and how easy it is to love people I could hardly communicate with verbally, how lucky I am to be a US citizen, how much I needed my family, I learned more about the importance of accepting and loving everyone, etc. etc. etc. One of biggest changes in my heart while I was in Sri Lanka came when I realized how much I truly needed Kyle and how much I really loved him. I had been quite bitter about the "L" word for a long time and never imagined myself married because of it. I hadn't let myself get close to a man since my first real heart-break my junior year of high school, but loved the single life and dated a lot and spent time with many different people. I wasn't prepared to find a man like Kyle. I wasn't prepared to fall in love. But I did, and boy am I glad I let LOVE and HOPE back in my life.

I've always believed in the old phrase, "Actions speak louder than words" and watch for it carefully. I was so ecstatic when I found out that Kyle really was crazy about me and he meant what he said. His actions actually coincided with his words! Amazing!

He would call me 10,000 miles away using phone cards and lots of cell phone minutes. He would stay up until midnight so he could call me when it was noon in Sri Lanka and I was on my lunch break. I remember clearly sitting out on the beach many times with Natalie and hoping to hear Dineshi (my Sri Lankan sister) yell for me across the street saying, "Lisa! Phone for you!" My heart would skip a beat and an image of Kyle's smile would immediately come to mind. He usually called me at least twice a week when I was overseas. He even called me from London when he was there on vacation. I loved talking to him and was bummed when I would hear the stupid calling card lady say, "1 more minute." We knew it was time to say our goodbyes and xoxo's before the phone would automatically hang up when time ran out. One day, Natalie and I got to the house from a long day of teaching and my Sri Lankan family was waiting for me in the front room. I couldn't figure out what they were smiling for until I went in my room and saw a beautiful bouquet of flowers with a card. It read simply, "I love you Beautiful. Love, Kyle" He had ordered me flowers! I may or may not have cried a little because I missed him so much it hurt.

At the end of our two month trip, we flew to Hong Kong for a few days then on to Los Angeles for a layover to SLC. Kyle worked for SkyWest at the time and was able to meet us at the LA airport. He swept me off my feet into a twirl of a hug and a giant smooch when we saw each other.

Those two long, yet incredible months made all the difference in our new love. I remember sitting on the beach and telling Natalie, "I think Kyle and I might get married." It was as unexpected for her to hear as it was for me to say! But I knew when I was there that it was very much a possibility for us to end up together. His actions to his girlfriend (me) on the other side of the world were phenomenal. I was so impressed and even more intrigued to find out what would happen next...

0 comments: