K, I didn't know what to write about next so I'll write about our first anniversary.
I told Kyle months in advance that I was planning something for our first wedding anniversary. I had reserved a time to take Kyle for a private plane ride at the aviation school in woods cross.
Wait, let me back up: Kyle has dreamed of being a pilot since he was a young tyke. He was close to enrolling in commercial pilot school a few times, but decided not to because of the economy and the aviation industry slumping. He was bummed, but is still determined to get his private pilot license one day. His love for pilot-ism runs in his blood. His grandfather and father both had/have their private pilot licesense and his grandpa made a career out of flying for a telecommunications company.
The aviation school gives an hour ride for first-timers for a small sum of money, so I signed us up and was so excited to suprise him. I kept the secret to myself (and a few others) the whole time preceeding the big day. That morning, I looked out the window hoping for a clear, beautiful February sky, but was devastated when I could see only fog. I was distraught. What would we do instead? I hadn't thought of a plan B! I made Kyle breakfast hoping the sky would clear up in the late morning hours. I called the aviation school and asked if they would still take us up. Their response was something about it being too dangerous or something of that nonsense. I told them that this was an important day and I was counting on this plane ride, although I knew they weren't responsible for the crummy weather. They told me they would call me if the sky cleared up enough to go up. I quickly tried to think of something else to do to pass the time. I hadn't told Kyle about the idea hoping it would still work out. So.. we got ready and hopped in the car. Little did he know I had no idea of our destination. We went to get gas and started driving toward Salt Lake. As I thought of the failed plan, my eyes started to become moist. I couldn't help but weap just a little- although I was trying to be unnoticeable. Of course, Kyle saw my glistening cheek and asked what was wrong. I broke down to him telling him my plan and apologizing that it wasn't going to work out. He was so cute and told me how much it meant to him that I would plan something so special, but he insisted we figure out something fun to do and have a great anniversary just being together. We ended up at the Gateway, where we like to walk around the outdoor mall window-shopping. Then something totally rad happened- the sun came out! Moments later, my phone rang and the pilot said to come on over to the small airport. I was thrilled. We drove over and went on a plane ride. The pilot decided he'd be the co-pilot and let Kyle hold the reigns! Kyle loved it. We flew around for about an hour. We flew over our apartment building and pointed out different buildings and parks we were familiar with. The pilot told Kyle how to do a "zero gravity dive." Yes, it is as intense as it sounds. Kyle pulled on the steering stick and we flew straight up climbing higher and higher. Then, he would let go of the stick and we would literally drop, as if the engine wasn't running. It was pretty freaky, though I thoroughly enjoy an adrenaline rush. When we landed, Kyle and I both felt a little woozy, although neither of us are motion-sick prone. Our stomachs were churning the rest of the afternoon, but boy was it worth it! It was so much fun being high above the city with my best friend. He looked so handsome in that pilot seat with a big grin on his face.
After all that anxiety with the planning, then the heartbreak when it seemed it wouldn't work, then the return of hope when we were still able to fly: it was quite a day! :)
7 years ago
0 comments:
Post a Comment